Friday, April 23, 2010

Bonnaroo Festival Preview





Summer means three things: the great outdoors, new music and no responsibilities. And no other music festival embodies these three aspects better than Bonnaroo Festival.

Bonnaroo Festival, the annual 4 day event out of Manchester, TN, is the modern day equivalent of the Woodstock-based Festivals just an hour north of here. The festival has been praised for its wide variety of popular and up-and-coming musicians. Artists such as Jack Johnson, DJ Z-Trip and My Morning Jacket have graced the stages at Bonnaroo. The festival is also famous for its excellent camping accommodations and for being one of the only environmental-conscious festivals in the Western Hemisphere.

This year, Bonnaroo 2010 will be held on the same site in Manchester, TN on June 10-13. The superstar line-up is headed by Dave Matthews Band, Kings of Leon, Stevie Wonder and Jay-Z. The entire line-up can be found here.

In celebration of the festival, I recently took part in a press conference (over the phone) with members of Weezer, The National and Rise Against. I learned about what each band is doing to prepare for the festival and other fun facts about each band. Here is an excerpt of what I asked Scott Shriner, the current bassist of one of my favourite bands - Weezer.

Nicholas Palumbo: As you know Jay-Z and Beyonce collaborated this past weekend at Coachella. Is there any Bonnaroo artist that you would be interested in collaborating on stage with?

Scott Shriner: What would be cool? I guess just for me like – I guess Stevie Wonder would be unbelievable, that guy is such a hero of mine. And I think there was an old Jay-Z/Weezer kind of mash up song a long time ago. So maybe we can get him to come out and do something with us too.

Nicholas Palumbo: What kind of festival food do you crave?

Scott Shriner: I don’t know. I’m not a big fan of ribs. I’m just not into having giant rib bones in my mouth that much. But I do like the messed up sausages that are all burned up and been out there all day long. So I guess that gets you kind of craving that.

I will definitely be taking the trip down for the festival. Will you?

PS: Check out the late night tent roster and the new Ben & Jerry's Bonnaroo-inspired flavour.

-Nicholas Palumbo

0 comments: